The Dilemma: you want a cool, sweet, satisfying summer treat while still giving your body some healthy love.
The Solution: 4-ingredient dairy free ice cream cups boosted with elderberry syrup. You get the best of both worlds, a super delicious summer treat packed with all the immune-boosting and seasonal allergy-combating power of elderberry syrup.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 1 cup dairy free vanilla ice cream of choice (I used Coconut Bliss brand)*
- ½ cup Feel Good Syrup elderberry syrup**
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup crushed almond slivers (optional)
- ¼ cup cocao nibs (optional)
- Fill a muffin tin with 8 muffin liners.
- Melt the dark chocolate chips with the coconut oil over low heat until smooth, set aside.
- In a food processor (or blender) add the vanilla ice cream and elderberry syrup and blend until a soft serve consistency is achieved.
- Pour approximately ½ tablespoon of the melted chocolate into each muffin liner and using your finger or a small spoon, swirl the chocolate around so that it makes a thin layer of chocolate along the inner edge of the muffin liner about 1 cm deep.
- Add around 2 tablespoons of the ice cream filling to each cup then pour the remaining chocolate over the ice cream filling to cover the ice cream.
- The chocolate layer will harden quite quickly, then top each cup with a sprinkle of slivered almonds and cocoa nibs if using.
- Place the ice cream cups in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours for the ice cream to harden and set, or preferably leave overnight!
*If you want to make this recipe even healthier, make your own banana ice cream by placing two peeled frozen bananas cut into chunks in a food processor with 1 tsp vanilla extract and process until smooth then freeze for 2 hours.
**You can omit elderberry syrup from the recipe but then you don’t get the awesome benefits of elderberry!
Courtesy of https://nutritioninthekitch.com